Saturday, February 28, 2009
Friday, February 27, 2009
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Monday, February 23, 2009
Thanks for being such a great example, Grandpa! I love you!
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Friday, February 20, 2009
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
P.S. 1 day...
Monday, February 16, 2009
This is a poster I got at school because this year is Lincoln's 200th birthday. Abraham Lincoln is a man that fascinates me. I have read several biographies about him, and even more books about the Civil War. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult things were for him during that time. The quote on the poster is one of my favorites from him. He could have led the country to be bitter and seek revenge, but his message was one of forgiveness and love. It's a good message for all of us.
P.S. 2 days...
Sunday, February 15, 2009
It made me think of how MUSIC is such an central part of my life.
- I took piano lessons for about ten years, which taught me to love classical music. I particularly enjoy Chopin and Rachmaninoff.
- My favorite shows to see are musicals and I love to listen to the soundtracks. Wicked is my all-time favorite, followed by Aida and The Secret Garden.
- I am in charge of teaching all the music to the 5th graders for our program.
- I wanted to get a music emphasis with my elementary ed degree, so I took all kinds of classes, including a conducting class.
- I started listening to country music my senior year of high school and three of my car radio buttons are set to country music stations, but I do have FM 100 and KOSY 106.5 for Sundays.
- I often hum without even thinking about it. My sisters used to laugh at me all the time for staring out of the car window and humming a random tune.
- I have a hard time getting songs out of my head, which can be a fun or annoying thing depending on the song.
P.S. 3 days...
Saturday, February 14, 2009
P.S. 4 days...
Friday, February 13, 2009
Valentine's Day in fifth grade is much different now than it was back in 1988.
- Gone are the days of trying to design the coolest Valentine box--we make bags in class as an art project.
- You don't spend time picking the most appropriate valentine for each kid in your class now--most kids don't even put names on them because that makes handing them out harder.
- You used to have to make sure that you didn't put the "I LOVE YOU" candy heart in with a boy's valentine (unless you had a crush on him)--now giving out candy hearts isn't good enough, it has to be suckers or candy bars.
- The valentines themselves have changed too--it's got to have Hannah Montana, High School Musical, SpongeBob, or Batman on it these days. I really don't even remember having characters on my valentines--did they even make NKOTB valentines back then? I wouldn't have gotten those even if they did, so I guess it doesn't matter that much.
- Another difference between 1988 and now is how excited I get for Valentines day. It used to be pretty fun, but now all I can say is that it is great to celebrate it on a Friday when the kids go home early and don't come back for three more days!
P.S. 5 days...
Thursday, February 12, 2009
I think I am most like that character; delicious isn't a simple definition for me. During the summer, the best thing to eat is my mom's bbq turkey with mashed red potatoes. The best thing for a snack is chips and salsa; but not Pace Picante sauce, the chunky pico de gallo kind. If you are going out to eat, you have to get Rafael's Mexican Plate with a soft-shelled chicken taco or Joy Luck's tangerine chicken with brown rice. And, nothing can beat homemade rolls or sugar cookies, but unfortunately they both are so time consuming to make.
For me there are certain food items are the exact OPPOSITE of delicious. Broccoli, eggs, and fish fit in that category. Texture is important when considering deliciousness too: soggy bread, mushrooms, and brownies or banana bread with walnuts in them are definitely NOT the definition of delicious.
So, what would be your definition of delicious? Could you sum it up with one food item, or are you PICKY like me?
P.S. 6 days...
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
P.S. 8 days...
Monday, February 9, 2009
Sunday, February 8, 2009
PS 10 days...
Saturday, February 7, 2009
Zac is one loved little boy! His closet and toy box have been replenished, so he will continue to be the cutest baby around with the best toys. However, the best present of all was the quiet book my mom made for him. She spent a lot of time on it, and it is amazing! It will keep him occupied for many church meetings to come. All in all, I think everyone had a great time. It's easy to enjoy a day to celebrate our little Zachy-Beans.
Happy Birthday--I love you little guy!
Friday, February 6, 2009
PS 12 days...
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
PS 15 days...
Monday, February 2, 2009
I had dinner with Michelle and Jodi tonight. These are the girls I lived with for EIGHT YEARS after college. Michelle is my older sister, Jodi is my surrogate older sister, and all three of us are teachers. I love to just be able to hang out with them now. After eight years together we got on each other's nerves a lot as roommates, but now we can just be FRIENDS. They are both wonderful people who I love and admire. Girls, we need to have dinner together more often! Tonight was fun!
PS 16 days...