Saturday, March 21, 2009

March 21: Boy in the Striped Pajamas

I have a slight obsession with historical fiction that revolves around World War II. Is that morbid? There are so many great books that are centered around that time period though. Some of my favorites include Number the Stars, Daniel's Story, Traitor, All But My Life, The Book Thief, Parallel Journeys, The Devil's Arithmetic, and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.


Tonight I watched the movie version of "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" with my sister. The book and the movie give an interesting perspective into the Holocaust. The story is told through the eyes of a young boy whose father is put in charge of a concentration camp. The boy is completely unaware of what his father does and befriends a boy on the other side of the barbed wire fence, a boy who wears striped pajamas. This isn't a lighthearted book or movie, you may shed a few tears like my sister did, but they really make you think about how we as a human race treat each other. I recommend both.

No comments:

Post a Comment