Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January 20: I Solemnly Swear

It's not often you get to watch a world changing event take place. Today Barack Obama, our first African-American president, was inaugurated as the 44th President of the United States.


Regardless of whether you voted for him or not, you have to agree this is a pretty incredible event. Fifty years ago, President Obama would not have been allowed to use certain restrooms or sit at the front of the bus. I am grateful for the progress we have made as a country, but I believe we still have a ways to go.

I work hard with my 5th graders to help them understand that a person should not be judged on their outward appearance: tall or short, fat or thin, black or white, glasses or not, blonde hair or black, it shouldn't matter. It is who we are on the inside that really matters, and even then we need to respect others. We don't always have to agree, but we do need to be respectful.

I was proud to be an American today. I was proud to stand in respect as President Obama repeated those 35 words and assumed the position I wouldn't want for all the money in the world. I will be praying for him and all those who work with him over the course of the next four years, they certainly will need help.
Let Freedom Ring!!

PS 29 days...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kristen! I totally agree with you! I get goose bumps just thinking about it. I am so happy that you finally have a blog!! Now I can stalk you.

    ReplyDelete