Wednesday, July 22, 2009

May 26: State Reports

My students have been working hard for the last month on their State Reports. This is a great project for the end of the year because it is easy to work on while we do end-of-level testing. The project has two parts. First, the kids have to create a map of their state showing major cities, landforms, and tourist attractions. Then they write up paragraphs of information about interesting facts, historical events, etc for a flipbook . Today the kids shared their projects with each other. They pretended to be travel agents for their states as they presented their information. It's nice to be done finally, this is the last big project I have to correct before school is done!


State reports are a rite of passage for 5th graders; I remember the state report I did back in 1988. My state was New Mexico, Land of Enchantment. I can't believe that would be my state of choice back then, so I think it was assigned. I do remember bringing chips and salsa for our "State Fair." Those were the good old days when you could still bring homemade food to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment