Wednesday, July 22, 2009

May 28: Happy Birthday Helen!

Today is my Grandma Barbara's birthday. Why do I call her Helen? It's all my sister's fault. Michelle is the queen of creating nicknames that really stick. She started calling my grandma "Helen" when they worked together at my uncle's business a long time ago. Helen is in reference to Helen Keller. Michelle was lovingly teasing my grandma about her difficulties with seeing and hearing clearly. The nickname stuck because Grandma thinks it is hilarious. That is one of the many things I love about Helen, she has a great sense of humor.

She is a master at doing puzzles and playing Scrabble. Her pot roast is to die for. She also makes the best shrimp salad, pasta salad, and chicken noodle soup. I love how I smell like her for hours after I give her a hug. Helen loves jewelry and has more than anybody I know. She gave me my first diamond ring when I was sixteen. She has a subscription to the National Enquirer and leaves it in her bathroom so you get sucked in to looking at it when you spend time in there. A car accident gave her a really raspy voice when she was young, it scares little kids sometimes, but it is so endearing.

The best thing about Helen though is that she is one of the kindest people I know. She would do anything she could for anyone, especially her family.
Happy Birthday Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment